Sunday, August 14, 2011

Central Region of Ghana


1)              My group and I traveled to the Central Region in Ghana. The drive was beautiful, as we had a view of the beach for much of the drive! In the Central Region, we visited a castle in Elmina which first established as a trade settlement, but then was used by the Portuguese and later the Dutch to transport slaves during the Atlantic slave trade.
     The trip to the castle moved everyone in my group. Some started crying. I felt that visiting the castle helped bring a more vivid image of slavery to my mind. Additionally, it is so easy to forget that slavery occurred in Africa when I am living in a part of the continent that has been developed over the years and has a growing economy. 
     Here are some pictures: 



Sending you all much love!!

Love, 

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment