Sunday, September 18, 2011

20 Points to Sum up my Trip to Ghana:


1)   I stick out like a soar thumb. In the markets, people often touch my skin or grab my arm to pull me in to buy their products.  
2)   People always ask me if I am a Christian, or if I believe in Jesus Christ.
3)   People, both on and off campus, always ask me for my phone number.
4)   I have received a few marriage proposals.
5)   Most people here assume that I am financially well to do because of my skin color.
6)   I take tro-tros, or oversized minivans, to travel around. Tro-tros can hold about 15 to 20 people. I have been doing a lot of traveling.  
7)   Ghana’s scenery is beautiful. The country is covered in greenery, but is also covered with trash in several parts.
8)   Where I am living, water and power are sporadic. There is never hot water. 
9)   It is so humid here!!
10)                  It is possible to keep kosher here. I am doing just fine. Although it took some time for my stomach to adjust to the food here. The pineapple here is amazing! I love Red Red, which is made with black eyed peas and red palm oil or tomatoes, and is served with plantains.
11)                   People often assume that my hair is a wig, and ask me how much I paid for it.
12)                   People call me “Obruni,” or “white person” all the time as if “Obruni” is the name on my birth certificate.
13)                   I am the only person in all of my classes who is left-handed. Ghanaians are trained to become right-handed even if they’re naturally left-handed. Also, it is considered disrespectful to eat with the left hand.
14)                   Even though Ghanaians and Americans both speak English, there are still several communication barriers. It took me a while to adjust to the Ghanaian accent. Additionally, American and Ghanaian expressions, sarcasm, and directness in answers differ greatly from one another. Often, Ghanaians will tell people what they think they want to hear, and not what is actually correct.  
15)                   Ghanaians see time differently than Americans. Here, many events, programs, classes, or meetings will start and/or run late. It seems that time here is seen as something that never runs out. 
16)                   I have met other international students from all over the world. About 10% of the university is international.
17)                   President Barak Obama is everywhere! I have passed by the “Obama Hotel,” the “Obama College,” the “Obama Bar,” and see “Obama biscuits” everywhere. Additionally, pictures and paintings of him are sold everywhere. A couple people have tried to sell me their products and told me to buy them for Obama and give them to him when I get home.
18)                   I see images of President Barak Obama and Ghanaian president John Atta Mills standing side by side. To me, these images appear photo shopped.
19)                    African dance is a blast! I can’t wait to break it down at my dance teacher’s wedding next week. ;-)
20)                   In Ghana, it’s important to remember to go with the flow. Things often do not turn out the way you plan. 

1 comment:

  1. great post!!! wow. that is so interesting to hear all of that. you certainly are having a completely unique experience.

    ReplyDelete