Thursday, September 8, 2011

Oguaa Fetu Afahye Festival


Hi Ya’ll:
     I’m sorry I haven’t written for a while. The internet is often down here. Where do I begin? This past weekend I traveled to Cape Coast in central Ghana for the Oguaa Fetu Afahye or Cape Coast Festival. People filled the streets to the point where I struggled to walk and had to guard my bag with extra caution. The Ghanians hold the festival every year in September to pay homage to the local dieties, and to celebrate the New Year. People wore all types of clothing from beautiful multicolored African wear to what appeared to me as clown costumes. Some people cross-dressed, and some painted their entire bodies in red, green, and yellow with black stars to match the Ghanaian flag. People danced African dances, sang African songs, and played African instruments and music in the street while the chiefs were brought out in large thrones that rested on top of people’s heads! OUCH! One white woman performed in one of the dances, and the Ghanaian next to me asked if she was my sister. I replied, “Of course! How did you know?” Not to mention, this woman was probably old enough to be my mother.
     The festival eventually moved through the streets and to a local park, where more African dance and music were performed. I love the sound of the drumming! During the second part of the ceremony, several people gave speeches, and the president of Ghana, John Atta Mills, made an appearance. Yes – I saw the president of Ghana! He was just a few steps in front of me. I was able to get close to him, as one Ghanaian next to me left the festival early, and kindly let me use his pre-paid seat.   
     At night, the streets were packed! I saw different dance groups perform both African dance as well as what seemed like American hip-hop.
     All in all, the festival was super fun! It helped me observe more Ghanaian culture, and has placed me one step closer in understanding the Ghanian lifestyle.
     Here are some pictures from the festival. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment