Sunday, September 18, 2011

Historic Sites in Accra (Ghana's Capital)


A few weeks ago, my Ghanaian friend took me to the historic sites in Accra. The nerd that I am, I was so excited to see them. Besides, why would I travel to a country for half a year and not visit its historic sites?
     We first went to the National Museum, which exhibits a collection of Ghana’s and West Africa’s historical artifacts, from farming tools to pottery to drums. I was so grateful to have gone with my friend, because he answered all of my questions and explained a lot about the artifacts in the museum. We then went the Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum, which is the final resting place of the first president of the Republic of Ghana, Presdient Nkrumah, and his Egyptian wife, Fathia. Apparently Fathia is Anwar Sadat’s sister. Adjacent to the mausoleum is a mini museum with pictures of Nkrumah by himself and with other world leaders, especially communist leaders including the leaders of Russia, China, and Cuba, since Nkrumah was a Marxist. The museum also displays some of his old furniture. The walls of the museum are decorated with Egyptian art.
     After the museums, we headed to the Centre For National Culture, which is locally known as the Arts Centre. Vendors there sell all types of artwork including woodcarvings, drums, cloth, leather bags, beads, and imported items from surrounding countries. I didn’t buy anything, but I one vendor approached me and told me to buy his drum to bring back to Obama.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment